The authorities of South Africa and Mozambique will meet in the Mozambican capital, Maputo, on the 22nd and 23rd of this month, to discuss illegal immigration from the neighboring country, South African Interior Minister Aaron Motsoaledi announced yesterday. The South African official, who was speaking in parliament, said that the Government in recent weeks has urged neighboring countries of the Southern African Development Community (SADC) to “intervene in the issue of illegal immigrants from their countries entering South Africa to commit crimes”. The fight against illegal mining in South Africa was the subject of debate yesterday in the South African parliament. Official figures presented in parliament indicate that South African authorities have arrested more than 4,000 people for illegal mining in the country since 2019.   In recent weeks, at least 43 Mozambican illegal immigrants have been detained following the gang rape of eight women in an abandoned mine in the area mining company in Krugersdorp, west of Johannesburg, a South African police source told Lusa. At least six Mozambican immigrants, including one under 16, are among 14 individuals formally accused of the alleged incident of gang rape, a source from the South African Public Ministry told Lusa yesterday. The suspects face charges of rape, sexual harassment, aggravated robbery and violation of immigration law in connection with the incident that shocked the country, South African spokeswoman Phindi Mjonondwane explained. On Wednesday, Police Minister Bheki Cele said that at least 350 illegal mining workers in the country had been arrested as part of several police operations to combat illegal mining in the Krugersdorp and Randfontein areas. The alleged gang rape of eight women sparked a wave of violent popular protests where hundreds of residents joined the police forces, accusing illegal mining workers – known locally as ‘Zama Zama’ – for the high level of crime in the province. On July 28, an armed gang broke into a location where a music video was being filmed in an abandoned mine near Krugersdorp and raped eight young girls who were part of the cast. The film crew was also robbed, according to local press. (Lusa) Source: Carta de Moçambique

Tradução automática do artigo:Aceder ao artigo original

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.